Leaving home whilst doing support work protocol
This protocol is a draft. It has not yet been accepted as protocol and may be incorrect or poorly cited. Please do not use this in your work until it has been accepted.
Please see #protocols on Slack to discuss this protocol further.
When to leave home
The government has identified ‘travelling to essential work’ and 'providing care/help to a vulnerable person' as acceptable reasons to leave home(1). Activities within the scope of Queercare fall under essential work i.e. ‘health and social care staff including volunteers’(2) You should be leaving home to carry out care and advocacy work as well as other work that keeps the organisation functioning only if it cannot be done at home.
What to do before leaving home
- Decide whether it is essential to leave home in order to carry out the work you need to do
- Check if you are well enough to leave home and to carry out the work.
- If travelling by public transport, check the relevant journey planner well ahead of time
- You should prepare to justify leaving home to law enforcement, including gathering appropriate proof of the work you plan on doing/are coming back from (without breaking confidentiality)
- Consider checking in with a buddy or group so that your whereabouts are known
- If you need to take a physical buddy with you, try to make it someone from your household; otherwise, rely on a "virtual buddy" to check in with via phone or text
- Prepare any PPE (personal protective equipment) needed
What to do whilst out
- You must follow social distancing guidelines, keeping 2 metres away from anyone that is not in your household
- Try to avoid contact with surfaces if possible to reduce chance of transmission
- Avoid travelling in groups of more than two, unless it is essential for the work you are carrying out
- Limit the time you spend outside
- If you're using a virtual buddy, check in with them occasionally to let them know you're okay and to keep yourself accountable (protocol on this coming soon)
What to do after returning home
- Check in again to ensure it is known that you have returned home
- Follow any disinfecting and/or hygiene routines or procedures in your household
- https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874714/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf Date accessed: 23/03/2020
- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision Date accessed: 23/03/2020