Claim expenses

From Queercare
Revision as of 12:56, 13 May 2020 by Misha (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This resource is under review, and has not been accepted.

We are currently gathering feedback and editing this resource, and there may be errors or bad wording. Please only use this resource with caution, and if other organisations have definitive protocol, use that instead.

Please see #protocols on Slack to discuss this protocol further.

QueerCare have a policy of stringently paying expenses for people doing community care, including protest care, as well as providing therapeutic support where necessary.

Please use this form to claim expenses.

We ask that even people who can spare the money claim their expenses back. This helps create a culture in which it is normalised, and people do not feel any shame at claiming expences.

If you're doing work within QueerCare itself

If you are QueerCare-trained or specifically approved by Ada, you are working within QueerCare and should claim reasonable expenses for your caring work.

As a guide (but not a firm limit, if you need to spend more and there is risk to life or limb, please do), it is very normal to spend:

  • Train fares within a metro area, or county - if you’re going on a long intercity journey, it’s generally best to check first, but if you need to because of acute care, don’t worry.
  • Buying a cup of tea or other drink for people you’re doing care for in the community - it’s reasonable to expect to pay about 5gbp per person (yourself and people you’re caring for - buy a snack too!
  • Buying a cheap meal while you’re caring for people: expect to pay about 15gbp/head, avoid the Michelin-starred places.
  • Buying snacks or other small food for folk you’re caring for: don’t do their groceries shop, but if they’ve having a blood sugar crash, buy them a snack
  • Buying snacks or a meal before doing care for someone, if you’re outside of your normal home - going into a care situation while you’re hungry is dangerous to you and the person you’re caring for.
  • Buying food while out of your home city/etc doing care for us - just, make sure you eat well, don’t become another patient!
  • Accommodation, if you’re in an odd city and need to stay there overnight - ideally try and find a local couch or spare bedroom, but if there’s nowhere safe, it’s normal and ok to get a cheap hostel or hotel room. (Don’t like, stay at the Ritz.)

If you're doing COVID-19 Mutual Aid work as a volunteer

If you're not trained by QueerCare or in the Slack, you can still claim expenses:

  • For travel, including petrol costs or taxi fares
  • If you have been asked to buy groceries for someone and have had pre-approval to claim expenses for such, you can claim up to £20 on groceries.

You will have been given a reference number to include in your claim; if you do not include this reference, your claim will not be reimbursed.